History of the Delhi Presbyterian Church
Delhi Presbyterian Church was first organized in 1870 and is one of the oldest continually-surviving Presbyterian Churches in northeast Louisiana. The church struggled to stay alive until the latter half of the 1940s, when oil was discovered in the area. The resulting influx of people brought new leadership, membership, and vitality to the church.
This church growth also included new facilities. A new sanctuary and educational building were erected in 1954, providing a structure adequate for the needs of the congregation and sufficient for future membership increases.
However, as the development of the oil field was completed, many of those who had been sent to work in Delhi moved on to new assignments, and membership again dwindled. The pastor left during that time as well, and the church drifted back into its former survival mode.
In 1961 the church called as its pastor a young man fresh out of seminary who has continued to serve DPC until the present time. This unusually long tenure has resulted in a number of positives for the DPC. One of the most significant benefits of this lengthy pastorate has been the development of solid lay leadership for the church. Officers and teachers have been introduced to and grounded in the Bible and the Reformed faith, and are well equipped to direct the ministries of the DPC.
A most significant milestone in the life of the DPC came in 1973 when the congregation decided to leave the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. and to become a charter, founding member of the Presbyterian Church in America. The church took this action because they believed the PCUS had drifted from its Biblical mooring and, as a result, had taken positions and promoted issues that the members of DPC could not support. The many ways God has blessed the life of DPC since this action serve as confirmation of the wisdom of that decision.
Over the years, the church has shown membership growth, increasing to a total of over 275. This blessing of growth has necessitated the expansion of our facilities, including the new manse, the purchase of a second manse for additional staff, construction of a new educational wing, a gymnasium, a very versatile annex called the “Green Room”, and the renovation and enlargement of the sanctuary.
The DPC has also grown in the areas of stewardship and missions. The financial support of the church’s ministry is broad-based, and a large percentage of the giving goes to benevolent causes, especially to foreign missions.
Delhi Presbyterian Church has a heart for the youth of our area and has regularly sought to minister to their needs. In addition to our learning opportunities on Sunday and Wednesday evening, we have, for 25 years, conducted a basketball camp in the summer. Youth from all over northeast Louisiana join us for fun and spiritual training.
We are grateful to our God for His rich grace to us in our past years and are confident of that help in the days to come. He has been building and will continue to build His Kingdom as we seek to follow His will revealed to us in His Word.